Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Dining Room Reborn

Wow. I continue to be amazed at how fabulous the Hudling is looking! The last couple of weeks have been both incredibly rewarding and very frustrating. A week from last Saturday, we planned on spending the entire day at the Hudling working on installing the wainscoting in the dining room. We really wanted to finish it all in one day...not impossible.

A few months ago, we purchased a Bostitch air compressor and brad nailer. I was THRILLED! This would make installing the wainscoting, baseboards and other trim a breeze. Except for the fact that I was very terrified of using it. Once upon a time in a land far, far away, I worked for a construction magazine as a writer and editor. I wrote several articles concerning OSHA regulations on work sites and read far too many stories of construction-related accidents. I'm now scarred for life. Just ask Rit. I am constantly telling her to be careful. I'm worried that the miter saw is going to leap up and cut off a major limb....or at least a finger. I'm worried that the brad nailer is going to impale one of us...I'm SO paranoid. Thanks, OSHA horror stories, thanks a lot.

Arriving at the Hudling bright and early, we realized that we needed some trim pieces. After a quick trip to Lowe's, we returned to the Hudling only to realize that the trim we purchased wouldn't work quite right. Back to the store. We returned with the correct trim pieces, and after pouring over the scanty instruction guide for the air compressor and brad nailer (heretofore known as "the Beast") 237 times, I finally got up enough courage to turn it on.


I checked the cord and plug, check. I checked the connection to the air hose, check. I checked the connection to the nailer, check. I checked the gauges, check. I took a deep breath and pulled the ON switch.

Nothing.

I looked at Rit. She looked at me. I quickly pushed the switch back in and pulled it back out.

Nothing.

You've got to be kidding me. After all of that, it doesn't even work!?!?! So, one more trip back to Lowe's, air compressor boxed up and in hand. After exchanging it for a new one, we hit Jimmy Johns for some sandwiches and headed back to the Hudling. Yes, that's right. By now, it was lunch time. What a day...what a very productive day.

After a quick lunch and psyching myself up enough to turn on the new Beast, we finally got started with the wainscoting. The first section was a little brutal. As you can see in the photo, we had to cut around the telephone ledge...lots of cuts.

We only finished the first section by the time we had to head home. I was so disappointed. We headed back yesterday bright and early to finish the job. We pretty much cruised through the rest of it. What a sense of accomplishment to look around at the Hudling and see so little left to do.

Almost finished in this photo. We did finish it yesterday. Now all it needs is a little caulk and a coat of paint. It looks phenomenal! I'm so excited! It really gives the Hudling the cottage feel we were looking for. Here's the new light fixture in the dining room:


I can't wait to finish up the last things on our list and show off some official AFTER photos of the entire project. Oh Hudling, you're looking good!

No comments: